Emotional intelligence (EQ) involves a SET OF SIX competencies ( the blue middle circle) that help us perceive, understand, express, reason with and manage emotions, both within ourselves and others. We can apply these skills to help us become more conscious of our own and others’ feelings and more conscious of the influence emotions are having on our decisions, behaviour and performance. This in turn helps us minimize the unproductive influence emotions can have and maximize people’s productive qualities.
- The blue middle circle represents the Six EQ competencies.
- The grey outer circle represents the productive states.
- The white inner circle represents the unproductive states.
The evidence is increasingly compelling. The measurable, learnable skills of emotional intelligence make a significant impact on organizational performance. EQ may be essential to differentiating world-class organizations in an increasingly complex and competitive marketplace. EQ drives everything.
Let’s look at a short overview of the six competencies, each of these competencies has skills to be developed.
- Self-Awareness is about being aware of the way you feel and the impact your feelings can have on decisions, behaviour and performance.
- Awareness of others is about perceiving, understanding and acknowledging the way others feel.
- Authenticity is about openly and effectively expressing oneself, honouring commitments and encouraging this behaviour in others.
- Emotional reasoning is about using the information in feelings (from oneself and others), and combining it with other facts and information when decision-making.
- Self-Management is about managing one’s own mood and emotions; time and behaviour; and continuously improving oneself.
- Positive influence is about positively influencing the way others feel through problem solving, providing feedback and recognising and supporting others’ work.
Companies have demonstrated that using EQ in training and organizational climate change can reduce costs associated with turnover, absenteeism, and low performance.
Invite Africa’s leading speaker and teacher in applied emotional intelligence to your organisation. Good for people and good for you!
- Ask Marcus for the EQ Experience, a free no obligation presentation to your company on the power of emotional intelligence.
- Website: https://www.online.marcusvanwyk.com
- Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Call: +27 82 855 4383 or + 27 82 468 0221